Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ask Huffle

My new friend Misha in New Zealand asked me a question last week. Actually, his mum had the question. She wants to know why cats sleep so much. Misha told her that it's because we can, but she wants a better answer.

Well Misha, I have done some extensive research on your question and the best answer I can find is: because we can. Other places I looked said things like this: On average, cats sleep about 16 hours a day, which equates to about two-thirds of their life. In fact, cats get more sleep than virtually any other animal, about twice as much as most mammals. Thus, sleeping is simply a normal behavior for cats. Just how much a particular cat will sleep, however, can depend upon many factors, including their age, their degree of hunger, their sense of security, the temperature and the weather.

Other answers said it's because cats are most active at dusk, and that we need to sleep a lot during the day to conserve energy so we can play Thundering Herd of Elephants at night.

I hope that helps your mum with her question, Misha!

20 comments:

Misha said...

Thanks Huffle. That was a big help! I shall race off and tell Mummy (after I've had a wee nap)...

Stella said...

Brilliant as always, Huffle!

Kisses,
Stella

meemsnyc said...

Of course we need to nap all day, that's how we can party all nite when the beans are sleeping!!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Sure sounds like woo covered it, Huffle, now back to our afternoon nap.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I think somekhat's math is wrong!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Kelli said...

Hi Huffle!
I always wondered why the cats at my house sleep ALL the time! Thanks for the info!
:) Tibby

Daisy said...

Huffle, you are very smart!

D.K. Wall said...

Thundering Herd? Did someone say Thundering Herd?

And Rusty says 16 hours is amateur. He sleeps 25 hours a day. Really.

Kathryn and Ari said...

I like the "thundering herd of elephants theory." That happens a LOT at our house.

Mickey's Musings said...

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the "because we can" one :)
It drives Mom nuts because she can't !! heeheehee
Purrs Mickey

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

That is a great answer to that question. My new brother is so small but he is a thundering herd of elephants all by himself!
--JB

Shmoo said...

You forgot the most important reason: because they don't have stupid jobs... and they say humans are smart. PPFT.

By the way, love the new banner photo, very stylish.

Meeshka

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Why is "because we can" not good enuff...

Forever Foster said...

That sounds like a very good answer to us. If we didn't sleep all day, we wouldn't have the energy to knock things off mum's bedside table and wake her up at night.

The Army of Four said...

This could explain why mom says Siberians are the missing link between cats and dogs. Do you think so? I'm gonna go sleep on that for a bit.
Play bows,
Zim

Jack & Moo said...

Hmmmm, I think this another reason huskies are known as the "cats of the dog world". I have to go nap now.

Wooozzzzzzz,
Star

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

Our mommy wishes that some of our 16 hours of sleep occurred between 3:00 and 6:00 AM...but Nooooooo! We never sleep during those hours, and we don't think Mommy should either.

Quill and Greyson said...

I find I need my rest so I can keep my parents from falling asleep at night. It's hard work.

Anonymous said...

Huffle,
We know that you are right about cats sleeping in the day and being active at night. We have a related question; how can a little 10 lb cat like Jenny sound, as you say, like a herd of thundering elephants at night. How does one cat make so much noise?
-TBH

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

My mom says it must be nice to be a cat. I have to agree.

Meow,
Wilbur